So I'm sitting on the couch, watching Under the Tuscan Sun with my family. The scene in the restaurant where Sandra Oh's character and Kate Walsh's character (the lesbian couple) announce that they're having a baby just passed.
Now, many times has my family watched this movie but my nine year old sister is getting to the stage where she can pick up on a lot more than one would think.
Gina: "Wait...are they both going to have babies?"
Mom: "No, just one of them, but they're both going to be it's mommy."
Gina: "How does that work?"
Mom: "Well you see..."
So now here I sit paying more attention to my mother trying to explain homosexuality to my little sister than to the movie.
Honestly, I never remember having a conversation like that when I was younger. I suppose I grew up just always thinking that some boys liked girls, some girls liked boys, some girls liked girls, and some boys liked boys. I grew up knowing both gay and straight couples. The dinner parties my parents would hold always had Brent and Ryan, Jolene and Grace, Kurt and Nancy, and some other random couples. Perhaps it depended on the drama in the work place but aside from those three couples, all others were just strangers. It never crossed my mind that anything was too different about our guests. It didn't matter. I didn't care. I had no need. I was just the cutie in the tutu that everyone loved. My mind was not yet tainted with the bull shit of too many rude people in our culture. Yes, I was raised Catholic but...how do I put this? We're a little...unorthodox.
No comments:
Post a Comment