Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flaw.

I've come to really realize that one of my biggest flaws is that I just don't shut up and listen sometimes.

Yes, of course, that affects my life and often my ability to do things correctly, find places, or figure things out. Lately though, I can't get over the fact that it's incredibly rude of me. It's one thing when someone is trying to help me figure something out that would ultimately help me, but when they're trying to explain something about themselves...I stop them, mid thought, jumping to a conclusion and not letting them finish. Holy crap. I'm a bitch.

Yes, sometimes he or she is telling me what their favorite starbucks drink is and why, but more often than that, it's something really significant. Like why they're passionate about something, or what they want to study, or they're explaining a tattoo, or a poem, or song and I just cut them off. 98% of the time I'm wrong and have just ruined the moment.

Who am I to assume that everyones reasoning or feelings are simple and can be guessed?

Not everyone can explain personal things to others and how terrible is it that once someone starts, I take away that moment from them.

Wow.

A certain situation has been bothering me for weeks. Ok, probably over a month actually. I can't get over how rude I was. I didn't mean to be rude but of course, how often are we actually intentionally rude? They seemed to not really mind that I was constantly guessing and assuming that I knew what they were getting to. I can't believe that they weren't a little annoyed though.

It happened again the other night.

This has got to stop.

I need to listen to people. Hear what they say. Care about the message that they are trying to get across and not what I want to think that they are telling me.

So maybe I didn't learn this today. I've known for the while. I just finally realized how big of a problem it is/could become.

I'm unbelievably sorry if I've ever done this to you. I'd apologize to those I know of, but in case you've either forgotten or never really cared, I don't want to bring it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment