So as I probably mentioned already, I'm cat sitting until Sunday for the Covey's and well, the job that should be oh-so-simple quickly became a complicated mess this afternoon. For starters, I rushed over to their house at about 11 today as I was on my way to work and it was raining bears and hippos. Yes, not just cats and dogs, bears and hippos. Before I drove the entire length of their driveway (which is quite a lengthy one might I add) I got out of my car to check their mail, yes it was only 11 and I should have known that their mail probably wouldn't be there but I checked anyway, and to my surprise...no mail. However, despite that fact that I had used my rather adorable umbrella, I was soaked...yay! So I drive all the way up to their house and scamper inside, hoping not to get any more wet than I already was. I walk inside, greeted of course by the smell of sage (everyone's house smells like a different plant to me, mine smells like eucalyptus, Julia's smells kind of like grass...whatever) and wander into the room that despite the fact that I've seen humans in it before and have even hung out in it myself, is pretty much their cat's lair. Great, the food dish is full, the water dish is full, and I'm too short to see in or even bring down the litter box...ok then, back out into the storm.
Once I got off work, which was absolutely lovely as customers trudged in soggy and cranky all day, I stopped by the house again only this time it wasn't raining bears and hippos, it was raining elephants and dinosaurs. Seriously. Fortunately though, my trip to the mail box was worth it since their mail had come. I bolt to the front door and quickly find the key and let myself in where it's dry. Their cat, who had been no where in sight that morning, greeted me in the foyer and like I hadn't ever been their, led me to his lair. I put more food in his dish, measuring out their specified amount, half a mini plastic Halloween treat pumpkin bucket thing, refreshed the water dish, and strategically got the litter box down. Wondering where they kept the plastic begs, I ventured in to the kitchen, checking in places I thought most logical for them to be. As I began to feel like an epic failure for discovering no bags I went back to the cat's lair and lone behold, a long bag holder was hanging on the kitty condo...ok, so maybe I was an epic failure. I scooped the kitty poo into the bag, tied it up, and thought, good, just need to throw this away and I'll be out. Here's where the fun begins. Now, being a cat owner myself, I knew they must not throw the poo away in the kitchen garbage, that's crazy, so I go into the garage. After about three minutes of searching I come to the conclusion that there is no garbage can in here, well not one meant for this type of waste. As mentioned before it's raining like crazy outside but of course, that's where I go next in my search for the kitty poo receptacle. What do I find? Nothing. So, in my utter frustration I double bag the poo, put it in the back of my car, and head home where I plan to thrown it away in one of our outside garbage cans. Oh the things I do to keep animal feces out of the kitchen.
So, as it's raining harder than ever, I pull into my garage and dispose of the kitty poo. As luck would have it, my mother had just gotten home as well and was watching as I took an awkward looking Publix sack out of the back of my car and tossed it into the can. She then gave me strange look and asked me what was in the bag. "Cat poop from the Covey's" I responded of course. She gave me an even stranger look and replied with "Lauren, are you doing them a favor, or taking stalking to a whole new level?" I couldn't decide whether I was irritated with her or if I wanted to laugh but my response was sarcastically put. "Yes mom, I'm stalking the Covey's by stealing their cat shit." Oh the bond my mother and I have. Hahaha. What a day. Hopefully that was as difficult as cat sitting gets. Ironically, about an hour later, James responded to my text message in which I had asked him where they dispose of the kitty poo. He informed me that there was a trash can outside by the driveway...I probably passed it in my search.
No comments:
Post a Comment